Tuesday, September 26, 2017

My Coffee Odyssey - Coffee Slingers

260945CDTSep17

It is rainy and feeling more like fall this morning, so a trip to try Coffee Slingers seems perfectly appropriate. Maybe it is because of the weather or time of day but my first impression on walking in was, “Wow! This place is noisy!” The front wall is entirely windows and, with the lighting, it is pretty light in here. Coffee Slingers fronts onto Broadway in Automobile Alley in the central business district in Oklahoma City. Seating is not particularly comfortable which suggests the turnover is expected (encouraged?) to be quick. The customers strike me as downtown business folk having a quick coffee and business chat. There does not seem to be any food on the menu board which, I suppose, is a coffee shop plus; however, it does not seem like a coffee shop where one could go and get any serious reading or work accomplished. I suppose that means, by my narrow definition, this is not a coffee shop. It is a place to grab a quick cup of coffee. 

I was told that the brewed coffee would always be a medium roast so that is what I am drinking today. It was, I thought, a bit pricey. It was $3.79 for a cup and no refills. Hanging out for more than a cup (or two) would start to get expensive which, again, could be part of the business plan. As for the coffee, it was somewhere in the Okay – Good range, not the best on #MyCoffeeOdyssey adventures.

 

There are some upsides. There are no moms with little ones running about. If you like a Starbucks atmosphere but don’t like Starbucks it would be fine. If you work downtown or on Automobile Alley Coffee Slingers is convenient and certainly worth a visit. I do have to note, that as I sit here typing this the crowd is drifting out, the noise level is going down, and my experience is improving. I will need to revisit during my usual afternoon timeframe just to see. Would I meet you here for coffee? Are you buying? Then, yes. Give me a call.

Disclaimer: I am not a coffee connoisseur. I am just a guy who lies to drink coffee in coffee shops. I tend to think of my coffee in terms of Meh – Okay - Good – Great. Most coffee I drink is okay to good. It has to make an effort to get to Great or Meh. These are just my opinions. Take or ignore them as you wish. Read more about #MyCoffeeOdyssey at "How this all started."

No comments:

Post a Comment